Approaches to Handling Protests and Demonstrations
This 2020 webinar features how civilian oversight agencies based in Seattle and Washington, D.C. approach protests and handle the complaints that result from them. The speakers explore whether and/or how they reach out to protest leaders in advance of planned demonstrations; whether their staff observe demonstrations; the role, if any, these observers play, and how their agencies address issues that might arise from staff witnessing incidents leading to complaints. Finally, they examine the investigative challenges complaints stemming from demonstrations pose for these two investigative agencies and how these agencies handle these challenges. The speakers also discuss some of the specific challenges their agency faced as a result of the demonstrations that took place this summer, following George Floyd’s death.
- Mark Grba, Deputy Director of Investigations for the Office of Police Accountability Seattle, WA
- Rochelle Howard, Deputy Executive Director of the District of Columbia Office of Police Complaints, Washington, DC
- Dean Ikei, Sergeantwith the Seattle Police Department and Investigator for the Office of Police Accountability, Seattle, WA
- Anthony Lawrence, Senior Investigator with the Office of Poice Complaints, Washington, DC
- Chelsea Whittler, Attorney and Investigator with the Office of Police Accountability, Seattle, WA