The mission of the National Association for Civilian Oversight of Law Enforcement (NACOLE) is to enhance fair and professional law enforcement responsive to community needs.
To this end, NACOLE operates with the following goals in mind:
- To provide for the establishment, development, education, and technical assistance of/for the civilian oversight of law enforcement.
- To develop a national forum to provide an informational and educational clearinghouse and a publication resource of educational information for the public and organizations in the field of civilian oversight of law enforcement.
- To encourage the highest ethical standards in organizations which oversee law enforcement.
- To educate the public by developing mechanisms to enhance police and community relations, educate law enforcement agencies, and encourage law enforcement to respond with sensitivity to citizens' issues and complaints.
- To encourage full racial and ethnic representation and participation in this organization and the agencies overseen by its members.