I am honored and humbled by the opportunity to serve my third - and final - term as President of the National Association for Civilian Oversight of Law Enforcement (NACOLE).
My vision for NACOLE is simple: Enhance accountability and transparency in policing and build community trust through civilian oversight.
We currently do this by holding an annual conference, publishing a regular newsletter, hosting an e-mail listserv, sponsoring academic symposia, conducting regional training, offering a professional credential in the practice of oversight, administering a professional mentoring program for newer oversight practitioners, and providing assistance to communities looking to develop a new civilian oversight process or review their existing one
To further advance NACOLE's mission and build on the hard work of the NACOLE Board of Directors, its committees, and our members, my primary goals for the year are to:
- Support and engage our existing members while growing our membership base.
- Continue to bring more transparency to NACOLE governance.
- Expand our reach and influence through strategic partnerships across sectors and professions.
- Take on the hard issues, demonstrating a willingness to speak out and take principled and well-supported positions on important matters of concern within policing and civilian oversight
- Maximize the impact of our message and our work and the work of our members.
This year we will be launching "NACOLE 2020," a comprehensive strategic planning initiative. The landscape of oversight has changed. The organization has changed and grown over these last few years. We must be thoughtful about how we continue to grow and meet the evolving needs of the communities that we serve. Please check the website regularly for more information and updates about the NACOLE 2020 process.
I look forward to continuing to serve you as President.