The mission NACOLE is to enhance fair and professional law enforcement responsive to community needs. NACOLE also:
- Provides for the establishment, development, education, and technical assistance of/for the civilian oversight of law enforcement.
- Develops a national forum to provide an informational and educational clearinghouse and a publication resource of educational information for the public and organizations in the field of civilian oversight of law enforcement.
- Encourages the highest ethical standards in organizations that help oversee law enforcement.
- Educates the public by developing mechanisms to enhance police and community relations, educate law enforcement agencies, and encourage law enforcement to respond with sensitivity to citizens’ issues and complaints.
- Provides, for a reasonable fee, consulting services to states, counties, cities and towns to assist in the design or refinement of oversight mechanisms.
- Provides training to staff members and volunteers of oversight agencies.
- Provides technical assistance and advice to jurisdictions that are considering the creation or revitalization of oversight bodies.
- Identifies best practices as they emerge from the experiences of members.
- Encourages networking, communication and information-sharing to counter the isolation inherent in the profession.
- Furnishes information to government officials and community representatives that will support their advocacy of oversight in their states, counties, cities and towns.
- Educates members by organizing an annual training conference that highlights best practices in the rapidly evolving world of citizen oversight through a program featuring guest speakers, panel discussions and workshops.
Connects members to one another through informal and formal networks of people who freely share their expertise and experiences in citizen oversight.